10/6/11

Applied Mathematics

Well, I got sidetracked again. Go figure. I was 3/4 of the way through a rather inane post when I got a touch of writer's block. Thinking that a bit of inspiration might do me some good and get the juices flowing again, I checked in on some of the blogs I follow. Guess it worked. Not only are the words and inspiration coming fast now, but prayers and a few tears are as well. I continue to be blown away - time and time again - by how much need there is in the world, and how relatively easy it is for ordinary people to meet those needs, if they're just willing.

In less time than it takes to watch a TV sitcom, I read about a couple who rescued a child from a life of certain poverty and neglect, and are bringing her up in a home filled with love, joy, and goodness. I read about missionaries in Haiti who struggle with feelings of guilt as they enjoy a wholesome, but modest, meal. Despite the fact that they are dedicating their lives to helping those around them, and making a tremendous difference every day, it still pains them to know there are thousands in their city who are malnourished and starving. I also read about a young midwestern girl who put her fears and sheltered upbringing behind her in order to touch the lives of desperately-poor Mexican villagers. In just thirty minutes, from the comfort of my own couch, I read about movers and shakers. Life changers and life savers. People who are passionate, and committed, and live life with an open throttle and no regrets. And, they are all.just.people - just.like.me.

Yep - not a superman or wonderwoman among them. They have fears and doubts. Misgivings, weaknesses, imperfections. They have them all. But, somehow they don't let that stop them from rushing headlong in the direction of their hearts. It makes me wonder what more I can give. What more I can do. What more I can be. Yet, that's not how these people think of themselves - as ones who give, and do, and live abundantly. No, the overriding theme from these men and women who have profoundly challenging lives and who have witnessed unspeakable things, is gratitude. More than that - it is gratitude about what they have received, even beyond the gratitude at what they've been able to give. And, I'm not talking about false-modesty gratitude, where someone flashes an insincere grin and quips about how they're, "...just happy to be able to help..." These people have bone-deep gratefulness for their daily blessings - no matter how meager they may seem to someone like me. They are overcome and overwhelmed by how honest-to-goodness wonderful their lives are. It gets me to thinkin' - perhaps they're on to something.

So, now what? I'm on fire more than ever with a realization of how much need there is, but I'm also equally ablaze with the fact that little-ol'-me really can make a difference in the world. The big question is - how? Should I emulate their awesome examples by rushing out and adopting a child? Planning a mission trip? Moving to a third-world country? Maybe. Or, maybe not. Perhaps it is not the actions of these everyday heroes that most need to be duplicated, but the attitude. What if - just go with me on this for a second - there was an outbreak of gratitude in our hearts and homes? Would that, alone, be enough to make the world a better place?

I think so. In fact, it all seems like a rather simple issue of arithmetic, if you ask me. Let me explain: I often find myself saying, when I'm feeling particularly happy with how my life is going, or see something in the news about how hard someone else's life is, "I have so much." And, while that's true, it is also a rather loaded statement. Most often, these four little words are a superficial and glib way of excusing myself from having to think too hard about either my own blessings, or the sufferings of others. Like a rote and disconnected prayer, I say it to absolve myself from responsbility, hoping the phrase itself will invoke someone else to provide the solution to a problem I don't want to acknowledge.

Mathematically, however, the statement takes on new meaning. "I have so much" is not the dismissive solution we may think it is. Instead, it is a problem in and of itself - a problem that begs to be solved. Think about it - how much is 'so'? Substitute a variable for that crucial little word, and it's easy to see that this common phrase is not a matter of economics, or morality, or theology. It is basic algebra, and by solving for 'x' we might just be solving some pretty big problems.

See, it is only once you know what you have, that you truly start to become rich. When we can honestly take stock of our blessings - and choose to be grateful for each and every one - we are able to quantify the goodness of our own lives. That 'so' from the glib phrase abov,e that slips out so easily, is not an unknowable variable, but a distinct and unique quantity for each and every one of us. Once we know it, it both compels and empowers to us to act. Like I said - simple math: The difference between our quantity and what we see in the lives of others equals how much need there is. It also shows us just how much we really do have to give, which is often much more than what we would have imagined.

So, I say, if we want to change the world, what we first need is an epidemic of gratefulness. May the act of acknowledging all the good things in our lives spur us to also see the need we don't want to admit exists, as well as our abundant ability to fill it. Looks like those folks really were on to something after all - the humble act of being grateful can lead you to the most wonderful of blessings...

But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me. If you keep to my path, I will reveal to you the salvation of God. - Psalm 50:23

 

No comments:

Post a Comment