10/13/09

New Panties!


My 2 3/4 year old is finally acquiescing to my request that she start potty training. In the past several months we have had constant conversations that went something like this:

Me: When will you be ready to go potty in the potty?
Sarah: I'm not big enough.
Me: When will you be big enough?
Sarah: Where is my cat?

Clearly, this was an issue of pressing concern to her. Finally today, in perhaps what was a mere slip of the tongue, she agreed that she was now 'big enough,' so off to Walmart we went. The result - new princess panties. They were even the real Disney type. (Truth be told, I figured she could have accidents for the next three weeks just as well into knock-off princess panties that costs half the price, but she disagreed. I was desperate enough to be swayed.)

Perhaps it worked - when we were at the bathroom in the mall Sarah gladly sat a big potty for the very first time, even asking me to let go of her so she could sit there alone. So, I went into the adjoining stall and watched her little red shoes swing and listened to her personal potty song. It's a good sign - she's got all the makings of a successful pottier.

This evening she practiced putting on, taking off, pulling up, and otherwise playing with her new panties. (We've already tried on two of the seven pairs, and it's only been an hour.) The good news, however, is that there have been no accidents as of yet. She is currently lying in my bed, watching a movie with her sister. At least she's on her dad's side...

Because she is my last one, I can tell that there is a hint of skepticism (perhaps more accurately called 'reserve') in my tone. In truth, I think it's about the fact that I have no more ego invested in this process. Today...tomorrow...next week... It'll happen. She won't go off to college in diapers, so the rest is just details. What a difference from when Rachel was working through the process. Each of us in the household literally agonized over each potty experience. (And you KNOW how bad it is to stress and strain when it comes to elimination!)

This time, I'm determined to enjoy the experience. (Ok, maybe not the accident clean up, extra laundry, mad dashes to find a public restroom, etc...) However, may God help me to forever remember her little face - lit up with joy - as she sat on her potty and declared, "Look - Look - I'm doing it!" I want to be able to recall, as an old, old woman, that swagger in her walk as she came off the potty today at the mall. I want to always carry the vision of those little cheeks disappearing behind a pair of big-girl panties for the very first time. Someone please remind me of this in a week, would you?

1 comment:

  1. Andrea, I can still remember when our last one stepped into "big girl hood." We had decided to take a family vacation ( I can barely remember now what that word means). She decided that she wanted to potty train. So, off we went in the van, portable potty at our side. By the end of the trip, the process was completed. I never thought it could happen, and it was the most unusual of all the potty experiences in our family. It seems that I have any easier time recalling things like this for my youngest. Is it because it is till fresh in my mind or is it because she is our "baby" ?

    ReplyDelete